We did it...we've been binkie-free for almost a week now. I'm so proud of our little guy :) I wasn't sure when to get rid of the binkie, but I just kept seeing super old kids out and about (like 4 year olds!)...and they would carry on conversations WITH their binkies in their mouths. I was terrified that it would only get harder to get rid of the binkie later on. As Finn was only really using his binkie during nap/night time or longggg car rides, I knew he wasn't super attached anyway. One day during nap time, he must have thrown his binkie behind his crib...I couldn't find another binkie anywhere! I gave him his blankie, rubbed his back for a minute and left the room. It took a while, but he finally fell asleep. That was the last day with the binkie! He's a trooper :)
Other than that, we're struggling with the one vs. two naps a day. He hasn't decided if one nap will work for him yet :) They should have a show on TLC called "Nap Wars" specifically focusing on this difficult napping transition!
And walking...we can tell he totally could walk if he wanted to, but he definitely isn't too interested yet. He uses his walker toy around the house, and will literally pick it up to change directions (clearly he's stable enough), but he acts like you're crazy when you want him to walk without the walker. So, of course...we'll just let Finn decide when he's ready to start running all over the place (as usual).
One thing Finn loves to do is pay attention to detail. I guess we shouldn't have been surprised by this, as he was always so observant from day one. Finn loves to take his blocks, and stack them neatly on the windowsill, chairs,... any level surface. He also still loves to push any type of ball (usually two at a time) around the house. And now, he's on to repairing the wheels on pretty much any toy (and more recently, he likes to reach for the tires on cars when he's in his stroller). His inquisitive mind always keeps me guessing :)
Student teaching didn't start last week as I anticipated. It's a long, ridiculous story, but everything has mostly been out of my hands. I hope to start teaching in 2 weeks...let's see if GCU can get their act together! Prayers appreciated!! On the upside, I've been so happy to have a few more weeks home with Finn. I kept worrying about getting him ready to be in a day care atmosphere (i.e. not so much cuddling before nap time, helping him learn to feed himself better, etc). Then, I decided it just wasn't fun! I want the adjustment to be easy for him, but I also want next couple of weeks to be as fun and amazing as possible. So, I'll cuddle as long as he lets me before he naps...and let the new babysitter figure out how she wants to but him down for naps at her house! :)
Oh, and we finally cut Finn's hair! I really didn't want to, but his mullet was starting to look a bit silly. As you can see, he was REALLY excited to get his hair cut (obvious sarcasm here).
1 comment:
I completely admire you (and Finn) on losing the binky! And, I'm a little jealous. We try so hard to give it to him only at naps/bed/long car rides, but then if he happens to see it laying around the house and picks it up, and we try to take it away, thunder rolls. Sigh. I hope I'm not one of those moms with a 4-year-old and a binky!
Post a Comment