Monday, February 14, 2011

1 week down- 15 more to go...

We made it through week one of student teaching. The first couple of days were really hard for me. I just kept questioning whether this was the right thing...being away from Finn all day. Paying to have someone else watch him while I'm not even bringing home a penny. It just didn't seem worth it to me...short term that is. I started to feel more connected to the students in the classroom, and the teacher...the next day was a little easier. Now, when I look at the big picture, I know this is the right thing. It doesn't change the fact that I hate being away from our little prince everyday, but I know it's an adjustment. In addition to the crazy changes last week...we were sick. I got a cold my second day of student teaching, and then I passed it on to Finn. It made for quite a lousy week, but it's over...phew.

On a lighter note, Finn has adjusted SO well to daycare, which is the most important part! He sleeps on a big boy mat (on the ground) with the other big kids, takes 1 nap/day, feeds himself better, and he comes home with a new sound or "word" every day it seems like. I wish he missed me more, but I'm glad he's having such a good time. I must admit, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the surprise on his face when I show up at the end of the day to pick him up :)

We are so lucky to have today off (the Pleasanton School District celebrates Washington's birthday AND President's Day...nice!). So, while I'm taking it easy with Finn today as he's still a little sick, I'm extremely happy to be home with him :)

Oh, in case you're wondering- I'm student teaching in a 2nd grade class at an awesome school just down the street from our house. The kids are such a blast, and I'm loving them already. I've been so fortunate to have been placed with a super fun & young teacher that is making this experience really great so far. I'm hopeful that once we're done feeling uncertain about all of these new changes, student teaching will fly by and school will be OVER!!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!

4 comments:

Britney said...

Great post! Just wait until Finn can run over to you when you walk through the door and pick him up! That is the best.
Also, someone once told me that if your child doesn't cry when you drop him off somewhere and leave, it actually means that he trusts you enough to know that you would never leave him somewhere that wasn't safe/fun/etc for him, and he knows that you'd always return.
That made me feel better when Brae seemed to LOVE IT when I dropped him off at school!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your updates!! Great to hear that Finn is enjoying daycare. We're thinking about putting Canon in at 1 year. Hard choice, but like Finn, I think he'd benefit from the socialization and all they are able to learn from the new environment.

Lauren said...

I miss you terribly. I am so glad the adjustment is going well and I love the visual of Finn smiling with joy when he see's you come in! xoox

Unknown said...

You are such a good mommy and are going to make the best teacher! Miss you love!