Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer is here!!










Get ready…this is a long one!
My oh my…where do I begin?? Well, summer has officially started! The sun has been shining constantly (we went through a couple of unpredictable months), and we are happy little clams around here! Finn is at home with me all day everyday now, which is exciting and challenging at the same time. I think most of you know that Finn was an angel infant. He slept well, ate well, hardly fussed, and was typically content most of the time. Oh, how much toddler-hood has changed that.

I started to first notice Finn’s personality “coming out” a few months ago. We thought his new-found temper was due to some medication he was on for his bronchitis, but the doctor said that the medicine was not to blame. Finn is officially a toddler, and may be showing some early signs of terrible two’s. May be showing some signs….?? Um, no. The little guy might as well be two. One of the biggest struggles for me is keeping it cool and remaining patient when he’s frustrated. After chatting with friends about this, I have now realized that we need to do what works for us. Every child is different. Needless to say, this is a work in progress. I am slowly recognizing that I’m not a terrible mom, and that every child goes through stages that are more challenging than others for their parents.

With that said, I have to admit that the joys of toddler-hood make the crazy mood swings easy to forget about most of the time. I LOVE the way Finn points to every car in a parking lot while yelling “caaar” as though he’s from New Jersey  I love how inquisitive he is, and when he imitates things that he sees us doing (fave imitation right now- Finn holding anything and everything up to his ear while saying “aaaeyyyo”- Finn talk for “hello”). Finn also loves to do everything himself…well, until he gets sick of it or lazy. We’re working on helping him make choices- like holding mommy’s hand when we walk down the street or being held.

Something else exciting- Finn got to visit Southern California for the 1st time! We spent 2 nights in Newport Beach and 2 nights outside of Los Angeles. We had an AMAZING time visiting friends, enjoying the warmer weather, and exploring both places. Finn had a blast playing on the beach at Marina and Adam’s beach house in Newport! He also thoroughly enjoyed his time with his long-distance BFF, Ty (he’s 1 month younger than Finn), in LA . Ty is so sweet and compassionate…when Finn would fall down, Ty would often try to help him back up. Finn kept grunting and looking at him like “what are you doing?!” Finn so did not understand the kind gesture  None the less, it was it was so precious to see the two boys playing and enjoying a baseball game, playing at the bounce house, and sleeping in the same room!

On a completely different note- I have been interviewing for teaching jobs!! I have officially graduated, and I have been on the hunt for a job. I didn’t even expect to find positions available, as there have been so many lay-offs in education. I initially began interviewing with a private, Christian school in Fremont (about 30 minutes from us). After 3 interviews ending this past Tuesday, I have been offered the position (6th grade English/Social Studies). I am VERY excited for this opportunity, although it is not my desired grade level or subject. I feel the best fit for me is in elementary teaching general education/multiple subjects. I have not accepted, nor have I declined the offer, because, I have also been fortunate enough to interview with the Pleasanton school district as well. I had one interview yesterday, and I have been asked back for a 2nd interview/meeting with some Kindergarten teachers (the open position is for a Kindergarten classroom). I am keeping my fingers crossed for this one. Many people don’t realize this, but private school teachers get paid far less than public school teachers (almost ½ as much!). And, Pleasanton is also where we live…so, if I can cut out a 30 minute commute, I’m in! On top of that, Pleasanton is very well-known for their wonderful schools, and I would be so blessed to be part of a district where I can continue to learn and grow!! However, at the end of the day- I will simply be happy to get a job and teach next year! Stay tuned…

3 comments:

Britney said...

Wow! Where to begin? First, Finners is just GORGEOUS. And yes, the toddler stage is a challenge, but so far, my favorite. I love love the pic of he and Justin at the ball game.
And YAYAY on the teaching offer! Wow! I'm so proud of you to have had so many bites!
I'm going to call you back soon -- once I can find some time to spare where I don't have two kiddos crying in my ear.
love you and miss yu tons!!!

the lenkes said...

Finn has grown so much! Unbelievable. Congrats on the teaching job! Miss and love you. Thanks for the chat. xo

Lauren said...

ok, i have a LOT to say, but I've decided since I'm in catching up mode I'm going to call you tomorrow! Love all the pics. so excited to see you next month! and SO proud of you and the job. You are such an inspiration, you amaze me. loves and hugs. xo